Monday 4 July 2016

My Favorite Colour

It's time for a new challenge over at Aurora Wings, it the turn of Team Stella and the theme is 'My Favourite Colour.

I have two favourite colours, which I think work perfectly together Turquoise and Green.

I thought the perfect image for this combo would have an under the sea theme, so I have used is Whimsical Seahorse.

I started by making some texture paste (glue, white acrylic paint & Talc) once I got to the right consistency I used it on a bubble mask on a flat canvas and left it to dry.

I wanted to play with my new Kuratake Watercolors, so I played around with a few different shades of blue and green, they are a lovely consistency, but i definitely need more practice with them.

I fussy cut my image and coloured with Copics.

When everything was dry I glued the image to the canvas and then stupidly went over the whole canvas with Glossy deco patch glue to seal it, not realizing that it would really dull down the colours and actually merge them a little, so I have lost a lot of definition on the colouring, still we live and learn.

 I added some gems, shells and seaweed looking stems to add to the under sea look.

But did I stop there, hell no I just had to add some glitter to his wings, I really must learn that sometimes less is more!!


I am pretty pleased with my 1st attempt at mixed media, but there are certainly many things I will do differently next time.

Do pop over to the Challenge Blog and see what my Teamies have been up to.

You can find all things Aurora Wings using the following links - Thanks for stopping by x

Challenges Entered:-

Dragonfly Dreams - Anything Goes
We Love to Create - Mixed Media
A bit more time to Craft - Anything Goes
Altered Eclectics - Mixed Media
Classic Design Team Challenge - Anything Goes
A Inky Mess - Anything Goes


18 comments:

  1. Oh Julie, you've done a fabulous job with your canvas. As I'm just beginning to dabble in mixed media myself, I'm certainly aware of the "surprises" you encounter when working with something new. However, I think everything turned out absolutely beautifully! Love the fabulous texture and gorgeous shades of blue and green and I love how he sort of blends a bit with the background, like he's hiding amongst the underwater plants. Loving the subtle sparkle, as well. What a wonderful project! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just adore this project, hugs, Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely - beautifully made - love all the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful!!! May I suggest you also link up with a new challenge blog, ainkymess.blogspot.com where we are Anythinh Mixed Media goes! We'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowza - I saw this on the challenge blog and had to come give kudos for a very impressive piece! I love the bubbles... you didn't mention the stencil you used so I started brainstorming how I might achieve a similar look. I want to use a sheet of acetate and a Japanese Punch for the different size holes. The plan is to create a template of my desired design on paper, tape it to the acetate and then punch out the two together. Just wanted you to know how you motivated and inspired me with your beautiful piece... thank you!
    ~ginny
    RubberMAD

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful piece... a mini masterpiece! I love the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a stunning canvas, Julie!! Gorgeous color combo with lovely texture, and the lovely embellishment brings the fantasy underwater scene to life beautifully. I love how you're experimenting with new materials and mixed media. And love your attention to detail with the setup for the photo of this project. With your current blog design, your presentation of this project is so meticulous, I just LOVE the whole thing! Thank you for the gorgeous inspiration for our latest challenge at Aurora Wings. Mitzi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great project with super details!
    Thank you for sharing with us over here today at the Classic Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Carla DT   http://classicdesignteamchallenge.blogspot.com.au/...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loveeee this canvas Julie.. The texture and the colours are so fabulous.. <3 xx :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW stunning canvas love the brilliant textured background,little seahorse and the dewdrops and pearls are fabulous underwater embellishments----Thank you for joining us in our very first challenge at A Inky Mess
    Carol DT x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely project!!! Thank you for being with us at Altered Eclectics!!!
    Hugs,
    Arlette DT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie I really can not tell you enough how much I love this!! It is just an incredible project!! All the little details are just remarkable!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful project. Thank you for sharing with us at Dragonfly Dreams.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing work here. Everything is just perfect on this Canvas. Love how you have displayed on your blog too, a real pleasure to visit and view your work.

    Thank you for sharing with us over here at Classic Design Team Open Challenge and best of luck with your entry.
    [Annette Registered Owner/Admin for Classic Design Team Challenge]

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is gorgeous. I have bubble envy, I must find that stencil, it's great. The colours worked really well and the seahorse is beautiful. Thank you for sharing this project with us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous project!! I adore these colours!! You were very popular with us over at A Inky Mess, but sadly we cannot enter you this time due to the fact your link back wasn't to the challenge. If you're unsure how to do this, then please do go to our blog ainkymess.blogspot.co.uk and there's a page dedicated to informing you how to do it. Thanks so much for joining us and we hope to see you next time - it starts this weekend, and be sure to link back to the challenge please. Michelle DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great card -

    Thanks for joining us at the Classic Design Team Open Challenge.

    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie, your first mixed media canvas is fantastic! I am surprised that your medium reacted with the copic coloring. Or was it the ink from the printer? Anyway, that is more noticeable to you than to us, because all we see is beauty! Really yummy background and embellies. Love your play!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a message, it is greatly appreciated.
Jules :)